I've completed the bar stool re-design for the second time. I'm finally pleased enough with my work to publish it here. Time and material play a huge part in doing these redesigns. The first redesign was done quickly but the material I used was not pleasing to the eye. The seat seemed lumpy and no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it smooth. Sorry, no pictures of the first re-do. I changed the foam to a better upholstery foam and added appropriate bonded Dacron. I must apologize for not showing step by step pictures and instructions, I will next time.
You can see that the task of stripping the paint from the wood was not an undertaking I was willing to do. I like the black paint and the look that it gives the bar stool so I settled for the black.
The first attempt also included decorative furniture nails. I wasn't pleased with this look, again I regret I don't have a photo for you. I was going for a more rustic appearance with this stool so I switched to Blued Tacks. I like the look, its rustic and adds to the "cottage/barn" look I like.
The fabric is a duck canvas that is light tan. I would have liked to use linen or even burlap but with my family using this stool a great deal there is no way either of these fabrics would have held up. The tougher duck canvas seems to hold up well. I would recommend a protectant spray on anything you recover to help with clean up.
I hope you enjoyed this post now its on to my next project of a pair of chairs, for a customer. I will post the steps on this next one and now that school is starting (whew, thought it never would) I can get to my posts on a regular basis.
Featured Shop: Herb’s Furniture Company
2 days ago